Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Case of the Week 428

Happy New Years! I have 2 announcements to make with this post. First, we will be "opening" 2017 with a beautiful case from Florida Fan (see below). Second, I want to announce that I have a new website: http://parasitewonders.com.  This website will serve as a repository for the cases that I post on my blog (in an easy-to-search A through Z format). The website also contains a flashcards feature where you can test your knowledge of common and uncommon parasites. I will continue to populate the image bank and flashcards as I post new cases, so I \encourage you to bookmark this page and check back often.

So now, on to the case:
This object was identified in a concentrate stool specimen. The photograph was taken at 400x, and the object measures just over 150 micrometers in length. No further history is available. Identification?


8 comments:

Nate said...

Not sure, but based on the size and operculum my guess would be Fasciola or Fasciolopsis.

mona said...

Fasciola spp. egg or Fasciolopsis buski egg

Gema Fernández Rivas said...

Me too, fasciola or fasciolopsis! Happy new year!

Unknown said...

Fasciola hepatica ( opercelated and smaller is size than paragominus westermani )

Anthony Rochester said...

Hey Khalid I think you'll find that Paragonimus is much smaller

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

fasciola.

Sugar Magnolia said...

Well! It appears I am (fashionably) late to the party. I concur, Fasciola spp. because of the "opening" (*AHEM*)and large size. What a fun start to the New Year!